So here’s my list of the foods I have found to be lowest in sodium, and which I routinely use in the kitchen. If you’re trying to reduce your intake, the best thing you can do is read the ingredient labels on everything, from dairy to processed foods to spice mixes. Be suspicious of labels that say “lower sodium” or “heart healthy.” Often these foods contain relatively less sodium, but it’s a handful instead of a boat load, which is still too much.
And if you had any doubts as to whether prepared foods (including regular old bread) are loaded with salt, the CDC has your answer.
Many of these items are carried only by health food stores or high end groceries, and are, unfortunately, more expensive than their big-salt counterparts. Of course, the more fresh ingredients you use, the less you’ll need to rely on packaged foods. Though I am loathe to increase kitchen labor, I have found that increasing the number and amount of ingredients in their natural states and being selective in the use of prepared foods yields tastier meals and better health.
If you’ve found tasty alternatives to sodium laden staples, please send me the names.
Dairy and alternatives
- Greek yogurts (Fage, Greek Gods, Chobani) tend to be lower in sodium than Swiss style or regular products
- Amande yogurt (almond milk-based) — VERY low
- Edensoy Organic Unsweetened Soy Milk
- Friendship 1% no salt added cottage cheese
Soups and stocks, canned foods
- Pacific organic low sodium chicken broth (the lowest of the ready made stocks)
- Pomi chopped tomatoes
- Bionaturae organic tomato paste
- Eden Organic beans
- Middle Earth Organics “Passata Rustica” tomato puree (perfect base for marinara)
- Puffed wheat and rice
- Shredded wheat (only unsweetened varieties)
- Oatmeal, grits, cream of rice, cream of wheat (only unsweetened — all can be made in the microwave)
- Ryvita Fruit & Seed Crunch crispbread
- Edward & Sons brown rice snaps (Unsalted Sesame)
- Ezekial low sodium sprouted wheat bread (or just dust off your bread machine)
- Garden of Eatin’ No Salt Added Blue Corn Chips
- Heinz No Salt Added Ketchup
- Westbrae Natural Stoneground Mustard (no salt added)